[asdf-devel] ASDF works again with ECL (also a question)

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 03:10:31 UTC 2010

On 19 March 2010 15:24, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can you help with the configuration on Windows?
>> What is the ECL equivalent of LispWorks' get-folder-path?
>> Or if there isn't one builtin, how do I read a string entry from
>> the registry?
>
> We do not export in ECL any way to read the registry, nor any function to
> get local paths for concepts like Desktop, Documents, etc.

Hum. Could such a way be made available in ECL,
possibly through (require :windows-registry) or some such?
I'm sure that would help all Windows developers.

>> Can you test ASDF with ECL on Windows?
>
> Sure. I am building it right now. But is there a way to run the tests here?

If you install a unix shell (via cygwin or mingw?), the tests should
"just" work.
If not, I accept patch. I don't have a windows machine to help make it
work, though.

>> Do these environment variables USERPROFILE and ALLUSERSPROFILE actually
>> exist?
>
> They do exist.However, I have a problem with ASDF's use of ALLUSERSPROFILE,
> because it is mixed with a pathname "Application Data ..." which may have a
> different name on a different language -- Windows has the bad habit of
> naming system folders differently depending on the localization of the
> operating system. Unfortunately all my copies of Windows are installed with
> US locale and language so I can not check this.

Well, IIUC, the Windows Registry is precisely where these
localizations are stored.
But I don't know what authoritative document to consult to be sure.

For the record, what are the values of USERPROFILE and ALLUSERSPROFILE
on that machine / account?

Luck occurs when preparedness meets opportunity.