[asdf-devel] Problem with time skew

Sid H shortsightedsid at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 15:00:55 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm using ASDF on CCL running on a TI ARM Cortex A8 processor with Linux. I have
>> very simple hello world system written that I'm trying out.
>>
> We can't help you w/o access to the source code.

Sorry about not attaching the code upfront. All I have is this -

;; cl-syslink.asd
(asdf:defsystem "cl-syslink"
  :serial t
  :components ((:file "syslink")))

;; syslink.lisp
(defpackage :syslink
  (:use :cl)
  (:export :hw))

(in-package :syslink)

(defun hw ()
  (print "Hello Syslink World"))

>> When I try to load, I find that that find-system is called continuously and
>> this never ends. I see the following on my slime window.
>>
> Is your asd file trying to load itself?
It shouldn't. I tried out the same files on CCL on Windows and it
loads just fine.

>> On investigation I found that the universal-time stored in *defined-systems* is
>> just slightly behind the file-write-date. The dates I see are in-memory:
>> 3499707641 and safe-file-write-date 3500387179.
>>
> So you loaded a previous version of the file on Nov 25 and last modified
> the file on Dec 3. What else happened in the meantime?

I never bothered to look at the date until you mentioned it, but I
just ran date on the board and that shows the following

root at dm816x-evm:~# date
Fri Nov 26 05:01:45 UTC 2010

But obviously today is not Nov 26 :-) Looks like there isn't an RTC on
the board or its not working correctly. get-universal-time reports the
time that the board thinks it is but since the files are on NFS, the
server (which most likely has the correct date) reports a date way
ahead.

--Sid