[asdf-devel] ASDF 2.0 and beyond.

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 20 14:47:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry that my mail was taken the wrong way.

I understand that email is not always the best medium for communicating.

> My plan is to freeze the master branch at the end of April,
> thereupon only accepting bug fixes or trivial enhancements,
> and hopefully declare 2.0 released before the end of May.

I think this is the right thing to do given the scarcity of resources. That
would also give us time to set up the infrastructure I mentioned w.r.t.
testing and measuring the influence of ASDF's design choices. It would also
help in creating a wiki (anybody opposes it living in wikispaces and doing
it _now_?)

To name one thing, not all the features present in ASDF 2 are actually
spread and used throughout the Common Lisp world. To name one: the :type
argument to components which allows specifying the file extension. There are
many asd files out there that define classes just for that. It would make
sense to write down a document that lists the key changes and how they
should be used (pointer to the manual, etc)

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)