r14858 (was Re: r14857 breaks CFFI (was Re: Assorted patches))

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Thu Sep 29 22:15:41 UTC 2016

On 2016/9/22 20:17, Mark Evenson wrote:
> On 9/4/16 09:11, Mark Evenson wrote:
>>

>> On 2016/8/9 21:46, Olof-Joachim Frahm wrote:
>>> Hi list,
> […]
>>> - 0005 Adds support for setting the `file-position` on
>>>   `string-output-stream`s.  Might be somewhat obscure, but I stumbled
>>>   upon it in some situation.
> […]
>
> Apparently, this [one breaks CFFI][1].  Looking at how to fix, but my
> time is limited, as I am real busy with the [latest startup to use ABCL][2].

Incorrect triage on my part:  the [actual offending patch][r14858] is
the tres cool extension to the generation of synthetic runtime
constructors contributed by Olof (https://github.com/ferada/abcl/).  The
patch seems to cause memory corruption (in various NNNstrcmpXXX parts of
libc) in at least the currently shipping macOS ORCL JVM.  More tests
pending.

(lisp-implementation-version)
"1.4.0-dev"
"Java_HotSpot(TM)_64-Bit_Server_VM-Oracle_Corporation-1.8.0_102-b14"
"x86_64-Mac_OS_X-10.12"

[r14858]:
https://github.com/easye/abcl/commit/bf8c4b69d9a61fae41c7b1d0b0602714b3ec6daf

> [1]: http://abcl.org/trac/ticket/413
> [2]: https://minebox.io
>
> If I can't get a fix in the next 24 hours, I'll revert this patch for
> further work.

Well, that 24 hours has stretched, well, to this moment.

I have decided to try to release 1.4.0 in the remaining days of September.

To solicit the widest number of participants in patches to address
[413](http://abcl.org/trac/ticket/413) and other problems people have
with shipping the current trunk as 1.4.0, I have established Git bridges
to the svn system at [github](https://github.com/easye/abcl) and
[common-lisp.net](https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/mevenson/abcl).

All praise the CONS,
Mark