[armedbear-devel] asdf-jar on Windows

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sun Jan 22 08:54:18 UTC 2012

On Jan 22, 2012, at 8:50 AM, Theam Yong Chew wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I looked into the asdf jar loading mechanism in the contrib, and found
> that it doesn't work well on Windows (mainly pathname issues).
> Attached patch provides a suggested fix (please review).

[Applied to trunk][r13795] after review and test under UNIX.  At least it doesn't break anything…

Need to get my MSFT test environment a bit more in order

> Additionally, I think a suitable (OS portable?) argument for asdf-jar:package's
>
>      &key out #P"/var/tmp"
>
> would be nice.

Got an idea for a single string that would work everywhere?  Something
like "./" *should* work, but it may not end up really being a temp
space.  A better idea might be to query the underlying JVM as to
what directory the temporary file creations routines use, and ape
that.

A conditional read macro at runtime to select "/var/tmp" or "c:/temp"?

> Thanks for the good work!

Thanks for the patch!

[r13795]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/13795

> Yong.
> PS Any ideas on how we can avoid bundling the source too (maybe only
> the .asd file will still be needed). This will make jar files look
> more like binaries in a way... I tried to add a :exclude-source
> argument to package, but the resulting jar file failed to load (asdf
> wants source files still).

At various time I have gotten ASDF to exclude packaging the source,
but the protocol always seems to break.  Eventually, I just learned
to stop fighting not including the source.  For situations where
it is commercially necessary to strip source, I would recommend the
quick and dirty hack of stripping the generated archive.