[armedbear-devel] Start up message suggestion

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sun Jan 30 22:33:27 UTC 2011

On 1/30/11 6:24 PM, Mark Evenson wrote:
> On 1/26/11 11:58 PM, Blake McBride wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I've got a suggestion regarding the startup message on development
>> versions of abcl.  Rather that just saying "-dev" why don't we say "-dev
>> (XXX)"  where XXX is the subversion revision number?  This would make it
>> much more clear about what you are running, and I'm pretty sure
>> subversion can automatically provide and update this (I am doing it
>> elsewhere).

[…]

After reviewing the (damn quick, thanks!) feedback, I've committed
implementation of my proposal [in r13197][1]. Now, In the Ant-based
build, if the executable 'svnversion' can be found on the PATH and the
topmost '.svn' subdirectory exists, the output of 'svnversion' is
appended to the value returned by LISP-IMPLEMENTATION-VERSION (which is
what appears in the ABCL banner).

[1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/13197

The only suboptimal part of my implementation is that we produce a lot
of weird looking "empty" targets ('abcl.version.src.0',
'abcl.version.src.1', etc.) as is necessary to get around Ant's lack of
conditional properties on all tasks.  If there is an more aesthetically
pleasant way to do this with core Ant (i.e. without adding code or jars
to Ant), I'd be happy to learn about it…

To finish this issue:

1)  test under Windows (and in general), possibly adapting to the
presence of other methods of retrieving SVN information (like what
TortoiseSVN provides).

2)  implement the same algorithm in the Lisp-based build

3)  (weakly necessary) provide an extension mechanism to customize the
information