[armedbear-devel] Start up message suggestion

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 18:13:06 UTC 2011

Hi Ville,

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Ville Voutilainen
<ville.voutilainen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 January 2011 19:24, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
>> On 1/26/11 11:58 PM, Blake McBride wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>> I've got a suggestion regarding the startup message on development
>>> versions of abcl.  Rather that just saying "-dev" why don't we say "-dev
>>> (XXX)"  where XXX is the subversion revision number?  This would make it
>>> much more clear about what you are running, and I'm pretty sure
>>> subversion can automatically provide and update this (I am doing it
>>> elsewhere).
>> We kicked this around once running into the following problems:
>> The version of SVN source is not readable from the filesystem (i.e. via
>> a grep), but needs the SVN libraries to access it.  The executable
>> 'svnversion' that does this is not always available (is it available
>> under TotoiseSVN or not?  I forget what the answer to this turned out to
>> be…)
>
> This seems a non-issue at least to abcl developers, so it's an issue only for
> people who build abcl themselves. Furthermore, at least on my system
> the version _is_ greppable from .svn/entries.

Yes. However, that file will disappear in 1.7 and the layout of that
file has changed roughly in every release since svn 1.0. That's why
the developers of Subversion say that you need to use the subversion
libraries to query the version info.

>> 0.  Since there is no SVN tag expansion (like $Revision$) that would
>> output the current SVN version, we have to move the canonical value
>
> Uh what? The id expansions at the top of our files expand the revision
> as well as other information.

Right. But that's the revision of *that* file (the one in which the
file was last changed), not the revision of the entire tree. Files
which don't receive updates don't have their $Id$ updated.

>> 1.  The file 'org/armedbear/lisp/version' will be created during the
>> build process (it currently is) with the base value appended with the
>> string "-<OUTPUT of svnversion>" or "-unknown" if 'svnversion' couldn't
>> be invoked.  Examples would be "0.24.0-exported" "0.24.0-12344"
>> "0.24.0-13111:13112M".
>
> The middle one looks almost like what we're after, but it can just as
> well say "-dev" somewhere in the string. We have that information
> hardcoded in Version.java, so we should somehow get it from there
> and just append the revision number. It seems to be a simple problem
> and I'd expect a simple solution to work.

I see Mark already explained these outputs quite correctly.

PS: I'll look up if TSVN contains 'svnversion' as well.