[armedbear-devel] ASDF and ABCL

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sun Oct 31 09:10:32 UTC 2010

On 10/31/10 9:58 AM, Faré wrote:
> On 31 October 2010 01:46, Mark Evenson<evenson at panix.com>  wrote:
>> ABCL trunk upgraded to ASDF-2.010.1 in [r12986][1].
>>
>> [1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/12986
>>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> BTW, in the new numbering scheme I just inaugurated,
> 2.010 is stable, and 2.010.1 is a development version.
> In this case, 2.010.1 includes a GCL-specific patch, which won't affect you.
> I would recommend that in general, you should include
> a 2.0xx version in your official releases, not a 2.0xx.y version,
> unless the development version includes some ABCL-specific fix.
> This will help keep things more stable and restrict the number of
> different versions of ASDF found in the wild.
>
> No need to downgrade to 2.010, though.
> Just keep that in mind next time you upgrade.
>
> Or maybe you think this is a bad move, and have better ideas as to
> how ASDF versions may be numbered.

Thanks for the heads up on the versioning change.  I must confess that I
don't understand git very well, being more of a Mercurial partisan, so I
had just issued

     unix$ git fetch origin
     unix$ git pull

which had worked before to follow the stable branch of ASDF.

I don't expect that you are mixing development on the stable branch, so
I'll have to poke around the git documentation to figure out what I am
doing wrong.