[armedbear-devel] HEADS-UP Swing/AWT code moved to examples; ConsoleREPL added to base

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue May 25 14:25:52 UTC 2010

As discussed on #abcl some days ago with Alessio (and Erik?), I have
moved the unused code from org.armedbear.lisp.java.* to 'examples/gui'
as it is a better fit there.  Under the examples I created a simple Ant
build.xml with the base outline of a README.  The domain of using ABCL
to take the tedium out of Swing development and/or the combination with
[JSS][1] to produce an interactively built GUI is potentially very
interesting to a wider audience, but the examples are currently very
thin.  But maybe we should just direct people to [Snow][2], as that is
where a lot of energy has seemingly been spent.

[1]: http://code.google.com/p/lsw2/source/browse/#svn/trunk/jss
[2]: http://common-lisp.net/project/snow/

I've [placed the code that Alessio wrote for a minimal Swing REPL
console in org.armedbear.lisp.java.swing.REPLConsole][3], which has a
suitable Main method so that

	java -cp abcl.jar org.armedbear.lisp.java.swing.REPLConsole

will bring it "up" in the local display.

[3]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/12734

This console code is [the current basis][4] for the embedding of ABCL in
the Protege ontology editor, although that currently uses its own
version.  I don't like the creation of Threads in the constructor, but
haven't had time to figure out if there is a better way to go.  The
intention is to provide a standard way for people to embed ABCL with a
minimal REPL for their domain-specific Java application, so I when I get
the time I will revisit the Protege plugin to use this code.

[4]:
http://svn.neurocommons.org/svn/trunk/protege/org.sciencecommons.protege.lisp/