[armedbear-devel] HEADS-UP Swing/AWT code moved to examples; ConsoleREPL added to base

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Tue May 25 15:01:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
> As discussed on #abcl some days ago with Alessio (and Erik?), I have
> moved the unused code from org.armedbear.lisp.java.* to 'examples/gui'
> as it is a better fit there.  Under the examples I created a simple Ant
> build.xml with the base outline of a README.  The domain of using ABCL
> to take the tedium out of Swing development and/or the combination with
> [JSS][1] to produce an interactively built GUI is potentially very
> interesting to a wider audience, but the examples are currently very
> thin.  But maybe we should just direct people to [Snow][2], as that is
> where a lot of energy has seemingly been spent.
>
> [1]: http://code.google.com/p/lsw2/source/browse/#svn/trunk/jss
> [2]: http://common-lisp.net/project/snow/

Of course I'm happy if people get directed to Snow :), but, to be
honest, Snow is a hobby project whose core is fairly stable, but which
is very incomplete and thus absolutely not production-ready. It's of
course better than nothing and it's the result of several months of
work, so it's not a weekend's effort abandoned to itself ;).

> I've [placed the code that Alessio wrote for a minimal Swing REPL
> console in org.armedbear.lisp.java.swing.REPLConsole][3], which has a
> suitable Main method so that
>
>        java -cp abcl.jar org.armedbear.lisp.java.swing.REPLConsole
>
> will bring it "up" in the local display.
>
> [3]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/12734
>
> This console code is [the current basis][4] for the embedding of ABCL in
> the Protege ontology editor, although that currently uses its own
> version.  I don't like the creation of Threads in the constructor, but
> haven't had time to figure out if there is a better way to go.

What's the recommended way of launching concurrent tasks in
Protege/OSGi? ExecutorService?

> The
> intention is to provide a standard way for people to embed ABCL with a
> minimal REPL for their domain-specific Java application, so I when I get
> the time I will revisit the Protege plugin to use this code.
>
> [4]:
> http://svn.neurocommons.org/svn/trunk/protege/org.sciencecommons.protege.lisp/

Nice! Thanks for all the effort.

Bye,