[armedbear-devel] Optimizing loading times: different strategy for externalizing

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Fri May 21 11:33:52 UTC 2010

Hi John,

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM, John Pallister <john at synchromesh.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, the conclusion must be that our fasl reader is great, to the
>> extent that it allows human-readable fasls, but it brings us the
>> negative side effect that we start up too slow to be useable on - for
>> example - Google App Engine.

> Oh, really? Bugger. I was hoping to get to that (ABCL + GAE) later in
> the year, but I haven't had time to explore it much. Are there many
> other people interested in this use case? I'd be keen to hear how
> others have got on with this (i.e. is there anyone who hasn't given up
> 'cause it's too slow). How does ABCL compare with Clojure in this
> regard (speed of initial start-up)?

We currently start up in 11 seconds "Google time" (this is not wall
clock; wall clock may be much shorter). After initial startup,
requests may take only miliseconds. In earlier posts about Clojure, I
seem to remember it took them 5.5 secs.

BTW: our current 11 seconds used to be much more: before extensive
optimization reseach half a year ago, it was 19 seconds. The mail I
wrote is put in the terms it is in, mainly because of my own
disappointment that I wasn't able to solve the bottleneck.