[armedbear-devel] Optimizing loading times: different strategy for externalizing

John Pallister john at synchromesh.com
Fri May 21 09:57:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, the conclusion must be that our fasl reader is great, to the
> extent that it allows human-readable fasls, but it brings us the
> negative side effect that we start up too slow to be useable on - for
> example - Google App Engine.

Oh, really? Bugger. I was hoping to get to that (ABCL + GAE) later in
the year, but I haven't had time to explore it much. Are there many
other people interested in this use case? I'd be keen to hear how
others have got on with this (i.e. is there anyone who hasn't given up
'cause it's too slow). How does ABCL compare with Clojure in this
regard (speed of initial start-up)?

Thanks, and keep up all the great work,

John :^P
john at synchromesh.com