[armedbear-devel] progress with abcl in protege

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue May 18 18:09:30 UTC 2010

For Alan's goal to create an ABCL plugin for Protege–which is an Eclipse
RCP application so this work contributes to running ABCL on Eclipse
Equinox and OSGi in general–I've gotten to a fairly stable state for
which I've creating the attached patches from my local snapshots.

That's "patches" because I ended up creating an Eclipse OSGi project for
ABCL itself separate from the org.sciencecommons.protege.lisp so I could
run Protege under Eclipse to interactively debug things.

With [r12696][1], the ABCL trunk contains the necessary support in
Pathnames to run as an Eclipse OSGi bundle.  I have backported these
changes to the abcl-0.20 branch, so as long as nothing else crops up,
this release should be a good starting point.

[1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/12696

Since I needed to debug ABCL's load procedure in Eclipse, instead of
using Alan's procedure I [followed the instructions for building Protege
from Eclipse][2], and then added the abcl and
org.sciencecommons.protege.lisp plugins.  Therefore, the patches in this
email "convert" abcl and org.sciencecommons.protege.lisp to Eclipse OSGi
projects.  It should be possible to build purely from Ant as Alan
described with the additional step of invoking Ant on the
'abcl/protege-build.xml' with the PROTEGE_HOME set to the proper value.

[2]: http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/CompileProtege4InEclipseFromSvn

To build and run Protege with the Lisp plugin from Eclipse:

1.  Follow the instructions to [building Protege from Eclipe][2]

2.  Checkout the abcl SVN trunk (later than r12696) into the workspace.

3.  Apply 'abcl-osgi.patch' to the abcl directory

4.  Apply 'org.sciencecommons.protege.lisp.patch' to the corresponding
directory.

5.  Create the external tool builder configurations to build abcl and
org.sciencecommons.protege.lisp by following the instructions [to "add
your own plugin"][3].  For abcl, you will be adding "protege-build.xml".

6.  Build abcl and then org.sciencecommons.protege.lisp form the
external tool build configuration created in step 5

7.  Run Protege by using the "Protege.From.Build" run configuration.

[3]:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/CompileProtege4InEclipseFromSvn#Add_your_own_plugin

Some improvements over the previous state:

1.  ABCL loads fully, including SWANK via ASDF

2.  The J editor no longer appears.

Some problems:

1.  The REPL thread is being started in the GUI constructor at the
moment.  The general OSGi contract is that a bundle must only start
threads with the Activator.start() method, and all threads must be
stopped when Activator.stop() returns.

2.  I'd actually like to have the abcl container start()/stop() relevant
OSGi threads so that the bundling is useful for other containers.  To
this end, I am imagining a simple message server for ABCL that takes
messages as they come in, and ships them off to REPL threads as
necessary, returning the results.  There would be an optional argument
to such messages that would specify a thread to execute on.  Under this
proposal, other OSGi bundles would only be able to "communicate" with
EVAL.  Is this too restrictive?  It probably is if only Strings are
going back and forth, but maybe if we allowed LispObjects that were
somehow "deep copied" back and forth, providing access to the useful
routines.

3.  There are parts of ABCL that call System.exit() (at least one is
present in Autoload.load()), which is not going to work well.  I plan to
replace this somehow, perhaps by waiting for all tasks to finish, then
signaling that the singleton Interpreter is no longer valid by disposing
of the reference?

4.  I think it would be useful to move the JPanel code into base ABCL
for a basic interactive REPL.  This would facilitate embedding ABCL in
many tools where the core functionality is maintained in central
location.  This would allow Netbeans, for example, to easily include a
GUI to the ABCL REPL.  I would not favor this being a full IDE effort at
all, but would provide the base GUI element that others could customize.
  At the same time, maybe we should consider removing unused parts of
the org.armedbear.lisp.java.{awt,swing}.* classes?  Is this something
used by J that could profitably moved over?

5.  'build.xml' needs to be OSGi build-aware in a better manner.  The
current patchset assumes that the user will always be doing an OSGi
build when it is invoked.

Comments, feedback, et. al. solicited,
Mark