[armedbear-devel] Consolidating copy/paste code

David Kirkman dkirkman at ucsd.edu
Thu Apr 15 05:29:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:

>> But I ran into some trouble testing the changes.  Following the
>> instructions at
>>       http://common-lisp.net/project/armedbear/contributing.shtml
>> I end up with an OutOfMemoryError when running both test.ansi.interpreted
>> and test.ansi.compiled
>
> That's probably where 30 minutes turned into an afternoon after all? :-)

And that's an uncannily accurate description of Sunday afternoon!

> Do you feel like contributing more, but you don't have any idea where
> to start? You might want to have a look at ticket 88; it's a change to
> provide ABCL with primitives for SLIME to use to find the right source
> code. There's a comment in the ticket explaining my direction of
> thoughts. If that's not enough, we can discuss on the list, here.
>
> Although this is probably more like 2 or 3 afternoons since you're
> very new in our code base.

OK.  I'll take a look at it this weekend.  It sounds like you're
suggesting to modify the compiler to emit CompiledPrimitive
instead of Primitive, where CompiledPrimitive is just an empty
sublcass of Primitive?

> Thanks again for your contribution!

No trouble.  abcl just allowed me to integrate a large amount of old
code that I was rather fond of with an equally large amount of new
code, so I'm rather grateful.

-david k.