[armedbear-devel] Fwd: Consolidating copy/paste code

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 08:00:58 UTC 2010

Forgot to include the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [armedbear-devel] Consolidating copy/paste code
To: David Kirkman <dkirkman at ucsd.edu>

Hi David,

Let me start by thanking you for your contribution! Welcome!

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 2:59 AM, David Kirkman <dkirkman at ucsd.edu> wrote:
> OK, Sounds like a nice afternoon project.  Here's a patch that does what I
> think you're asking in FaslReader and LispReader.
>
> But I ran into some trouble testing the changes.  Following the
> instructions at
>       http://common-lisp.net/project/armedbear/contributing.shtml
> I end up with an OutOfMemoryError when running both test.ansi.interpreted
> and test.ansi.compiled
>
> Is there an enviroment variable that needs to be set to get these
> to run?  I can make it work by putting <jvmarg value="-Xmx500M">
> lines in build.xml, which I've attached as a second patch.
>
> When I ran the tests after I made the change, I got one additional error
> when running test.ansi.interpreted: PRINT.BACKQUOTE.RANDOM.14.  I've also
> attached the error.  I can't figure it out.  I eventually decided that a
> 'random' test might give a different result if I run it again ... so I ran it
> again (and again and again) ... and the error did not happen again.  So I now
> suspect that my patch does not introduce any new errors, but that
> PRINT.BACKQUOTE.RANDOM.14 fails randomly from time to time.

I saw Mark addressed the memory problems you had. That's good. I
experience the PRINT.BACKQUOTE.RANDOM and some other random printing
issues too. This is really something to look into. However, well,
they're random...

Unfortunately yesterday evening was very hectic, so I didn't get to
have a look at your changes. I'll look at them at my earliest
convenience; no later than the end of this week, hopefully tonight.

Thanks again for your contribution!