[armedbear-devel] Memory required for ANSI tests (was Re: Consolidating copy/paste code)

David Kirkman dkirkman at ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 12 15:31:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:

> For the Ant-based build, one sets theJava property 'java.options' in the
> 'abcl.properties' file to set Java options in the wrapper scripts.  For
> example I use the following line for OSX as my standard configuration:
>
>     java.options=-Xms1g -Xmx4g
>
> One could also pass this as something like ''-Djava.options="-Xms1g
> -Xmx4g"'' to the Ant process (not sure of the exact syntax here).

I originally tried setting java.options in abcl.properties, but no
setting I tried
had any effect (but the maximum I tried was -Xms1g -Xmx1g -- I'm running
on an old laptop without very much memory).  I also played with
setting JAVA_OPTIONS and ANT_OPTIONS.  (I also just retried it, and it
still doesn't work!)

I might just be having a problem because of this old machine (mac os 10.4
(power pc) ant version 1.7.1, and java version 1.5.0_19

> This should be documented better (my fault!)

It seemed pretty clear after I got the first out of memory error that
java.options should be meddled with, so I think the documentation
is working fine!   It looks like there is just a bug in the way it
interacts with my old system.