[armedbear-devel] Memory required for ANSI tests (was Re: Consolidating copy/paste code)

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Apr 12 12:36:22 UTC 2010

On 4/12/10 2:27 PM, Mark Evenson wrote:
[…]
> And unfortunately we can't set
> memory programatically at runtime by querying what the platform limits
> would be.  The only approach that makes sense

…would be to have a database of reasonable values that we somehow
compile into UNIX shell scripts and DOS batch files to do the right
thing at runtime.  Or maybe, have an initial JVM launch a secondary JVM
with the correct settings, but I don't know if this is possible.  These
ideas have always seemed to be too much trouble to me, and would anyhow
require that we collect the database of values in the first place.
There was some hope that Java7 would address this sort of problem, as it
effects almost all serious cross-platform use of the JVM which has been
solved piece-meal by each individual application deployment.

Anyways, that has been the extent of my thinking on the problem (and I
think summarizes the various discussions on #abcl).  Other possible
solutions would be welcome.