[armedbear-devel] No :DARWIN, "No tag" & no ASDF

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue Oct 6 09:30:39 UTC 2009

On 10/5/09 5:47 PM, John Pallister wrote:
[…]
> When I build ABCL, I get the warning "Use of Java version
> 1.6.0-internal not recommended." Perhaps '<matches
> string="${java.version}" pattern="1\.6\.0-internal"/>' could be added
> to the appropriate spot in build.xml to suppress this warning.

Maybe we should invert the test so we only emit the warning if we match
'java.version' for values of '1.6.0_1' through '1.6.0_9'?  The sense
being that we only know that we have problems with the Sun JDK 6
releases from U1 through U9.

Some background might be in order.  For reasons that were never clear,
but attributed to problems with the huge number of classes that ABCL
generates (mostly from the "one per CONS" requirement), performance
seemed subjectively slow under JDK 6, and was backed objectively by
benchmarking the time it took ABCL to a) run the ANSI test suite, and to
b) compile its own Lisp classes.  Some guesses were made as to the cause
of the problem, but by the time we got serious about thinking about
implementing the rather involved strategies that seemed like it might
help, jdk-1.6.0_10 was released with dramatically improved performance.

John:  how did you build your OpenJDK6?  Or did you get binaries from
somewhere?  I just built the version in MacPorts to test ABCL with,
seeing the same '1.6.0-internal' version string in 'java.version'.  The
MacPorts port metadata claims this is 'b16', which seems to be the last
change in the [OpenJDK6 mercurial repository][1].  Does 'b16' correspond
to 'u16' in the Sun JDK release?

[1]: http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk6/jdk6