[armedbear-devel] No :DARWIN, "No tag" & no ASDF

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue Oct 6 08:37:52 UTC 2009

On 10/5/09 5:47 PM, John Pallister wrote:
[…]

> As an aside, does anyone want to share their .emacs settings for Java
> development? I've installed JDE (which was a PITA FWIW), CC-Mode etc.
> and I'm curious as to what other (Emacs-minded) people are using.

I'm not a fan of JDE, as it really never helped with my primary use of
Java based IDEs by giving insight into the class structure.  Supposedly
[CEDET][1] will be included in the next point release of Emacs 23, but I
haven't really integrated it into my Java-based workflow.  CEDET's
primary consumer seems to be C++ development, but it seems to have the
basis for Java-based inspection that I would use.  I have yet to really
have the time to understand what CEDET offers.

[1]: http://cedet.sourceforge.net/

As for Java settings for Emacs 23, I don't use much more than the
defaults.  The relevant portions of my .emacs:

     (require 'java-mode-indent-annotations)
     (require 'cc-mode)
     (add-hook 'java-mode-hook 'java-mode-indent-annotations-setup)

     (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)
     (setq c-basic-offset 2)
     (add-hook 'java-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (set (make-local-variable 'compile-command)
		 "/opt/local/bin/ant -emacs -find build.xml")))

The only thing non-standard here is [java-mode-indent-annotations][2],
which adjusts cc-mode for Java annotations from

     @Annotation
       public Code starts(here) {

     @Annotation
     public Code starts(here) {

[2]: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/java-mode-indent-annotations.el

For navigating the ABCL source, note that the 'TAGS' target in
'build.xml' has specialized logic to grovel the '###SYMBOL###' comments
that link Lisp symbols to their Java implementations, which makes
Emacs's M-x find-tag interface quite a bit more useful.