[armedbear-devel] No :DARWIN, "No tag" & no ASDF

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 15:57:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM, John Pallister <john at synchromesh.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm inching my way towards working  with ABCL (stupid day job) and I
> thought I'd mention a few things that have cropped up.

Hello,

you're welcome!

> I'm running on OS X 10.5.8 using the OpenJDK 6 (for JSR-223, and the
> server VM). I updated the source from the SVN repo this morning.
>
> When I build ABCL, I get the warning "Use of Java version
> 1.6.0-internal not recommended." Perhaps '<matches
> string="${java.version}" pattern="1\.6\.0-internal"/>' could be added
> to the appropriate spot in build.xml to suppress this warning.

Fair enough.

> When I run ABCL, I get :JAVA-1.6 in *FEATURES* but not :DARWIN (or any
> other OS identifier). (*FEATURES* is (:DARWIN :JAVA-1.6 :ARMEDBEAR
> :ABCL :COMMON-LISP :ANSI-CL :CDR6). What's :CDR6?)

CDR6 is http://cdr.eurolisp.org/document/6/index.html

About OS detection in *features*, I don't know how it is supposed to work.

> When my '(load ".../start-swank.lisp")' fails, I get an error when I
> enter ':cont 0':
>
> shadow:abcl john$ ./abcl
> Armed Bear Common Lisp 0.17.0-dev
> Java 1.6.0-internal Sun Microsystems Inc.
> OpenJDK Server VM
> Low-level initialization completed in 1.699 seconds.
> Startup completed in 8.5 seconds. [on my Dell Mini 9, not real Apple h/w]
> Type ":help" for a list of available commands.
> CL-USER(1): (load "/Users/john/src/lisp/abcl/start-swank.lisp")
> Error loading /Users/john/src/lisp/asdf/asdf.lisp at line 193 (offset 7111)
> Debugger invoked on condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR:
>  The long form of DEFINE-METHOD-COMBINATION is not implemented.
> Restarts:
>  0: TOP-LEVEL Return to top level.
> [1] ASDF(2): :cont 0
> Debugger invoked on condition of type CONTROL-ERROR:
>  No tag named #:G140089 is currently visible
> Restarts:
>  0: TOP-LEVEL Return to top level.
> [1] CL-USER(3): :res
> CL-USER(4):

This happens to me too with recent versions from SVN. I guess it's a bug.

> Which brings me to the last problem: asdf.lisp won't load, since it
> uses the long form of DEFINE-METHOD-COMBINATION. Is there a workaround
> for this?

You can (require 'asdf), which should load the version of asdf bundled
with abcl (which afaik is an older version without the long form of
d-m-c).

> If anyone can shed some light on these issues, that would be great.
>
> As an aside, does anyone want to share their .emacs settings for Java
> development? I've installed JDE (which was a PITA FWIW), CC-Mode etc.
> and I'm curious as to what other (Emacs-minded) people are using.

I'm interested in this too. I used to use Eclipse for the Java parts,
but I'm moving more and more to Emacs (and simply Ant to build/run).
However, I have a very minimal .emacs setup (I'm an Emacs newbie).

Bye,
Alessio