[armedbear-devel] No :DARWIN, "No tag" & no ASDF

John Pallister john at synchromesh.com
Mon Oct 5 15:47:52 UTC 2009

Hello list,

I'm inching my way towards working  with ABCL (stupid day job) and I
thought I'd mention a few things that have cropped up.

I'm running on OS X 10.5.8 using the OpenJDK 6 (for JSR-223, and the
server VM). I updated the source from the SVN repo this morning.

When I build ABCL, I get the warning "Use of Java version
1.6.0-internal not recommended." Perhaps '<matches
string="${java.version}" pattern="1\.6\.0-internal"/>' could be added
to the appropriate spot in build.xml to suppress this warning.

When I run ABCL, I get :JAVA-1.6 in *FEATURES* but not :DARWIN (or any
other OS identifier). (*FEATURES* is (:DARWIN :JAVA-1.6 :ARMEDBEAR
:ABCL :COMMON-LISP :ANSI-CL :CDR6). What's :CDR6?)

When my '(load ".../start-swank.lisp")' fails, I get an error when I
enter ':cont 0':

shadow:abcl john$ ./abcl
Armed Bear Common Lisp 0.17.0-dev
Java 1.6.0-internal Sun Microsystems Inc.
OpenJDK Server VM
Low-level initialization completed in 1.699 seconds.
Startup completed in 8.5 seconds. [on my Dell Mini 9, not real Apple h/w]
Type ":help" for a list of available commands.
CL-USER(1): (load "/Users/john/src/lisp/abcl/start-swank.lisp")
Error loading /Users/john/src/lisp/asdf/asdf.lisp at line 193 (offset 7111)
Debugger invoked on condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR:
  The long form of DEFINE-METHOD-COMBINATION is not implemented.
Restarts:
  0: TOP-LEVEL Return to top level.
[1] ASDF(2): :cont 0
Debugger invoked on condition of type CONTROL-ERROR:
  No tag named #:G140089 is currently visible
Restarts:
  0: TOP-LEVEL Return to top level.
[1] CL-USER(3): :res
CL-USER(4):

Which brings me to the last problem: asdf.lisp won't load, since it
uses the long form of DEFINE-METHOD-COMBINATION. Is there a workaround
for this?

If anyone can shed some light on these issues, that would be great.

As an aside, does anyone want to share their .emacs settings for Java
development? I've installed JDE (which was a PITA FWIW), CC-Mode etc.
and I'm curious as to what other (Emacs-minded) people are using.

Cheers,

John :^P
--
John Pallister