[armedbear-devel] No :DARWIN, "No tag" & no ASDF

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:08:48 UTC 2009

Hi Alessio, John,

Just a quick response, since I'm at work:

>> Low-level initialization completed in 1.699 seconds.
>> Startup completed in 8.5 seconds. [on my Dell Mini 9, not real Apple h/w]
>> Type ":help" for a list of available commands.
>> CL-USER(1): (load "/Users/john/src/lisp/abcl/start-swank.lisp")
>> Error loading /Users/john/src/lisp/asdf/asdf.lisp at line 193 (offset 7111)
>> Debugger invoked on condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR:
>>  The long form of DEFINE-METHOD-COMBINATION is not implemented.
>> Restarts:
>>  0: TOP-LEVEL Return to top level.
>> [1] ASDF(2): :cont 0
>> Debugger invoked on condition of type CONTROL-ERROR:
>>  No tag named #:G140089 is currently visible
>> Restarts:
>>  0: TOP-LEVEL Return to top level.
>> [1] CL-USER(3): :res
>> CL-USER(4):
>
> This happens to me too with recent versions from SVN. I guess it's a bug.

It is indeed a bug. It's fall-out from the change Mark Evenson
committed to catch unmatched Go and Return exceptions. I committed a
change yesterday which should prevent that type of exception
(unmatched, that is) to ever happen. I'll check his change and revert
the bit which causes these control errors.

>> Which brings me to the last problem: asdf.lisp won't load, since it
>> uses the long form of DEFINE-METHOD-COMBINATION. Is there a workaround
>> for this?

> You can (require 'asdf), which should load the version of asdf bundled
> with abcl (which afaik is an older version without the long form of
> d-m-c).

That's true.

>> If anyone can shed some light on these issues, that would be great.

We're looking for someone (or funding so I can quit my day-job :-) to
implement d-m-c. It's been one of the things we deerly want to
implement but which exceeds the time and effort available at the
moment. Hence we're addressing other issues, such as performance,
first.

Hope that explains some.

Regards,