[admin] Hosting

Mario Mommer mmommer at common-lisp.net
Tue Mar 15 07:48:14 UTC 2005

Hello Matthias,

Matthias Goergens <mgoerg at siemens.sn.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:
> you're website says, that you may host free common lisp projects.
> That's a laudable service to the community.  I am not so ambitious to
> have a project, yet.  But I maybe you could be so kind and grant me
> shell account with access to emacs and CL.  Thank you.

As a matter of fact, we do not do that. People programm and do all
that stuff on their own computers, as otherwise the server would be
badly overloaded (which it sometimes is anyways, mind you). We only
provide disk space and some services (cvs, rsync, web, mailing lists)
strictly for projects.

So I'm afraid I cannot grant you your request.

> I just finished school and do not own a computer, though I have
> frequent access to terminals e.g. in the local library and my parents'
> old win98 box with aol dial-up.  Bare Clisp runs even on their
> backward system, but you would make me very happy with access to a a
> real computer and a CL with some useful libraries installed.  I have a
> fairly mathematical background and am fascinated with the theoretical
> issues of computer science like the dreaded y-combinator, on the other
> side I would like to toy around with some basic cgi scripts.  Maybe
> some of my ideas will actually turn out to be useful (fat chance) or
> at least interesting -- perhaps enought to turn it into a real project
> to host here.

As a matter of principle, we only host projects and give shell to
those with commit rights to those projects. So, sorry.

In any case, it is nice that you have an interest in this kind of
stuff. That's the future! :-)

At home I develop on an old 233Mhz pentium II that is considered junk
by everyone who sees it. It works ok. If you grab an issue of your
local ''kleinanzeiger'', you'll see people giving stuff like that, or
better, essentially for free.

> I know there are organizations that offer freeshells.  But I did not
> found any with a decent lisp.  Would you please help me out?  Thank
> you.

We have here a decent lisp but becaue of the load issues, it only is
run by one person, who also provides a service.

> Matthias P.S.  The web-site suggests, that you, Mario, would
> understand German as well, but I did not want to take the gamble too
> far, that you, the person reading this mail, are in fact Mario Mommer.
> In any case, please pardon my limited English.

While it is true that I'm the guy who is essentially responsible for
this, I'm not the only one doing stuff here :-) just in case. I should
change that note to reflect that.

If you have further comments or questions please consider contacting
me personally (my email address is in the header of this mail), as the
admin list is an open list.

Regards,
        Mario.