[admin] hosting videos

Mario Mommer mmommer at common-lisp.net
Mon Oct 11 22:17:10 UTC 2004

Hi!

Heow Eide-Goodman <heow at alphageeksinc.com> writes:
> Guys,
>
> You're currently hosting my project (the Lisp Resource Kit) and I'm VERY
> happy with the service, bandwidth and overall professionalism.

Wow, on behalf of everyone involved: thanks! :-)

> Anyway, the ALU, along with the local user groups are looking for a
> place to  host videos of various Lisp-geek demos and presentations.
> Presently the ALU lacks the bandwidth to host such items and I was
> wondering of you guys would be up for it.
>
> Expected usage would be 2 100MB uploads/month, ~30 downloads/month (3GB)
> for about 3GB storage/year.
>
> What are your thoughts on this?  Do you have any bandwidth caps?

Yes, of the benign anti-{slashdotting|DoS} type. Currently our
cap is 220Gb/month, simply because 200 is included in the hosting
package, and the extra 20 is what I planed to afford. We currently use
around 27 GB a month, and it is growing. A decent percentage of this
BW use is backups, probably.

So there is bandwidth for the movies. Storage is another issue,
though. We have enough for a year, I gather.

I sugest the following: we do it, and keep an eye on BW and disk
usage. If it gets out of control, we ponder what to do then (after
eventually getting them off the net, lest we trigger a shortage of
SLIME).

We could host the movies as a project - or we could also think of
something else...

Regards,
        Mario.