[admin] Cello, too?

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sat Nov 8 06:14:04 UTC 2003

Nikodemus Siivola wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 03:00:16PM -0500, Erik Enge wrote:
>

>>In the interest of keeping our users happy, do you (Nikodemus) think we
>>should go ahead and create the Cello project given that it's basically
>>the same as Cells (with regards to license etc.) and given the fact that
>>Mario approved Cells?
>>

>I suggested that Kenny apply for Cello separately mainly for
>organizational clarity (and the hunch that there are plenty of people
>who may be interested in one, but not the other). ;)
>
>...but give Mario a day or two to respond, unless Cello is in urgent
>need of CVS space?

Absolutely not. I have to switch from Freeglut 1.x to a shiny new FG2.0,
which will wreak havoc since I forked FG1 pretty badly. This will also
mean I need to grab, build, and learn a couple of (open) text libs,
because I also added text handling to FG. So my work is cut out for me
before I have anything to release.

>(Kenny: If that is the case (danger of forking due to off-cvs parallel
>development, etc), let Erik know so that he can create it. In that
>case will worry about the administrivia later...)
>
>There is actually room here for a devil's advocate argument:
>
> "Should Common-lisp.net host multiple projects with greatly overlapping
>  objectives?"

I have zero problem with doing all this under one project (I'd just have
separate bundles/directories/whatever for Cells and Cello) and it might
even be a lot more manageable that way until/if one or the other catches
on. I can see myself over on a Cello list saying, "Oh, that's a Cells
question, let's take it to cells-devel so folks there can see it". Ugh,
sounds awful. :)

One project, then? :)

kenny

--