[admin] Cello, too?

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Sat Nov 8 13:10:11 UTC 2003

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 01:14:04AM -0500, Kenny Tilton wrote:

> >"Should Common-lisp.net host multiple projects with greatly overlapping
> > objectives?"

> I have zero problem with doing all this under one project (I'd just have

Heh. ;) That was actually a reference to multiple GUI-projects, as we
already host Mario's lgtk (GTK for CL) project.

> separate bundles/directories/whatever for Cells and Cello) and it might
> even be a lot more manageable that way until/if one or the other catches
> on. I can see myself over on a Cello list saying, "Oh, that's a Cells

...I really think they're stunting each other already. Take me for
example: I'm definitely interested in Cells, but could not currently
care less for Cello. ;)

> One project, then? :)

As an admin: "Your choise."

As a lisper:

  I haven't looked at the codebase, so I have no idea of the boundaries
  between them -- so this is rather theoretical. ;)

  Cells is a "dataflow oriented extension" to Common Lisp, in a sence
  analogous to CLOS. I think that if the paradigm and ideas of Cells are
  universal enough, then Cells (or another implementation of that paradigm)
  has the potential (yes, I know this is unlikely) to become "another
  CLOS" on the long term.

  Cello on the other hand seems to be at least three totally different
  projects rolled into one:

   1) An experimental CLIM-like system based on Cells instead of CLOS.

   2) A backend for the above, built on top of OpenGL.

   3) OpenGL bindings for Common Lisp.

  Now, *if* these perceptions are correct (I'm largely guessing here),
  then there really should be three projects if the CL community were to
  reap maximum benefit from all this:

   Cells, Cello, cl-opengl

<half-serious> On a totally different topic: Erik, I'm getting the
feeling that we're starting to have enough people on Common-lisp.net
that it might make sense to start talk at common-lisp.net -- a mailing
list equivalent of cll for people who certifiably are writing open CL
stuff instead of just alking about it.  </half-serious>

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus