[admin] mailing lists for mod_lisp, cl-pdf and cl-typesetting

Mario Mommer mommer at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Dec 10 14:33:18 UTC 2003

Marc Battyani <marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com> writes:
> If you are Open Source only for mailing lists you should say so.

Probably. I don't think it makes sense to host the mailing lists for
comercial products here...

> > The point made by some folks on cll is quite true: giving people early
> > access to source is much likelier to bring contributors -- especially
> > giving them CVS/SVN/Arch access as opposed to just tarballs.
>
> I've seen this but it's what I have done with mod_lisp and cl-pdf and the
> users/contributors ratio is a fairly good approximation of 0. :(
> Releasing software takes time, you get lots of emails asking for support,
> etc... And time is the resource I'm missing the most!

It is the same here.

But CVS (or Arch, etc) also allows you to tell people that you are too
busy at the moment, but that they are wellcome to try to make it
better.

> So I prefer to work on cl-typesetting to release it only when it's
> usable by an average user.  So it's not that I'm against releasing
> it it's just that I don't think the advantages would be so great.

May be they are not; that depends, I bet, on personal judgement (in my
opinion the advantages outweight any possible (i haven't found any)
disadvantages). How about just trying it out? If it turns out to be
bad for some reason, well, you can revert to tar-balls again.

Regards,
        Mario.