[admin] mailing lists for mod_lisp, cl-pdf and cl-typesetting

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Wed Dec 10 13:46:31 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 02:28:54PM +0100, Marc Battyani wrote:

> No mod_lisp is also under a BSD style licence

Ok.

> Hum... If you are Open Source only for mailing lists you should say so.

It's a sticky point. On the other hand we're happy to host
mailing-lists for any and all CL topic, but generally tend to see
project-specific mailing lists as part of project hosting...

Dunno. Maybe we could make it clearer on the page. OTOH, it's not a
hard and fast rule -- we prefer to err on the side of flexibility. ;-)

And the final decision is always case-by-case anyways. Not that we've
refused any yet, I think.

> For now yes, I prefer to play with my own servers with my own tools.

Fair enough.

> But I could at least add a project page if you want.

Nah. I don't see much point in putting up a project page when the
project is elsewhere.

> I've seen this but it's what I have done with mod_lisp and cl-pdf and the
> users/contributors ratio is a fairly good approximation of 0. :(

Er. I see the tarballs, yes. But no CVS (or other) repositories. The
difference is really a big one.

People who are likely to help want the bleeding edge: if it's broken
they can try to fix it. If it works fine (like releases tend to)
they'll just use it -- and don't touch the source until there's
something they want from it.

Also, it's nice to know that what you have is a good approximation of
what the author has.

> Releasing software takes time, you get lots of emails asking for support,
> etc... And time is the resource I'm missing the most! So I prefer to work on
> cl-typesetting to release it only when it's usable by an average user.
> So it's not that I'm against releasing it it's just that I don't think the
> advantages would be so great.

The point is that anonCVS / whatever is not the same as a release.

People who tracks CVS don't generally expect the same level of support
as people who use released. And when they do, they should be told that
things don't work like that. ;-)

Tarball = for users
Repository = for developers

> BTW I'm ok to discuss this on a suitable place if c.l.l is not the good one.
> (or by email)

Clump might be a fertile place to get people's views on this
release/devel-access dichtomy. Better signal to noise ratio.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus