[admin] mailing lists for mod_lisp, cl-pdf and cl-typesetting

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Wed Dec 10 13:28:54 UTC 2003

Nikodemus Siivola wrote:

> CL-PDF is under BSD-style license, and mod_lisp under Apache License,
>right?

No mod_lisp is also under a BSD style licence

> For them at least, I definitely approve.
>
> I'm under the impression that you're not distributing the source to
> cl-typesetting yet: this makes hosting a mailing list for it at
> Common-lisp.net slightly controversial. However, since I think there
> is a clear intent to release it, I approve.

Hum... If you are Open Source only for mailing lists you should say so.

> By the by, are you *sure* you want just mailing lists, and not full
> project hosting?

For now yes, I prefer to play with my own servers with my own tools.
But I could at least add a project page if you want.

> The point made by some folks on cll is quite true: giving people early
> access to source is much likelier to bring contributors -- especially
> giving them CVS/SVN/Arch access as opposed to just tarballs.

I've seen this but it's what I have done with mod_lisp and cl-pdf and the
users/contributors ratio is a fairly good approximation of 0. :(
Releasing software takes time, you get lots of emails asking for support,
etc... And time is the resource I'm missing the most! So I prefer to work on
cl-typesetting to release it only when it's usable by an average user.
So it's not that I'm against releasing it it's just that I don't think the
advantages would be so great.

BTW I'm ok to discuss this on a suitable place if c.l.l is not the good one.
(or by email)

Cheers,

Marc

BTW my reply to Nikodemus bounced:

  nikodemus at random-state.net
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<nikodemus at
    host eforward2.name-services.com [216.52.184.242]:
    550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for nikodemus at random-state.net