[Admin] Hosting request

Mario Mommer mommer at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Aug 15 10:11:33 UTC 2003

Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus at random-state.net> writes:
> > How do the sourceforge/savannah people do this?
>
> As far as I can tell (including personal experience with Savannah)
> they mostly check that the license is valid considering the dependencies,
> and that the project description seems like the a person making the
> application actually know what they are doing.

I assume they make sure their bases are covered whenever something
like the d1g1tal m1l3nium c0pyr1ght h4ck hits the fan.

> Also, my impression is that Savannah assigns someone to vet each
> request -- and that the criteria vary from people to people.

I think that this would be overkill for us. We can adopt something
like this later if we feel it is necessary.

> > Again, how do sf/savannah do this? I bet you have to sign
> > electronically some contract with them, absolving them from any
> > responsability etc.
>
> If by electronically signing you mean "by submitting this form you
> agree to ..."  or equivalent, yes.

Yes, that was what I meant.

> Propos legal advice is something I don't think we either need or can
> afford. However, something along the lines of
>
>  Common-lisp.net is run and funded by volunteers, as they see fit.
>
>  If people runnign of Common-lisp.net see fit to delete you project
>  and replace it with mp3's of heavy metal played backwards you
>  have probably earned it.
>
>  If people runnign Common-lisp.net spill coffee on their keyboard and
>  cause a short circuit that emties all your back account, it's solely
>  your own fault due to associating with a computer language not made
>  for human consumption.

:))

Something like that, but in a form which is humor-impaired-proof. In
essence, it should say thet we can do anything, with the understanding
that we are responsible people and plan to do the right thing as often
as humanely possible:

 Common-lisp.net is run and funded by volunteers, as they see fit. By
 using this site you accept the following terms and conditions.

        * We do not have any obligation of accepting your project on
          any grounds.

        * We can do anything with whatever data you have in
          common-lisp.net, for whatever reason.

        * You will not hold us responsible before the law for anything
          in relation to common-lisp.net.

>  Moreover:
>
>  By using the hosting services ("service") of Common-lisp.net you
>  agree that the service is provided "as is",
>
>   ... insert few clauses from any terms of service lying around the
>   net ...

... and which can be borrowed just like that ...

> But then, again, I live in a country that has an actual legal system
> as opposed to the bizarre inventions used in some coutries. ;)

On what planet are you? Certainly not on earth, the densest planet of
the solar system. ;)

...but yes, I've heard that up there they actually have quite sensible
laws, lawyers and judges.

Regards,
        Mario.

P.S: I'll be back online on monday. Have a nice weekend!