[Admin] Hosting request

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Thu Aug 14 21:26:36 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 05:46:35PM +0200, Mario Mommer wrote:

> > As an alternative, I'd suggest that for every request someone has to
> > play devil's advocate and say why it should NOT be accepted. Then the
> > others can either say "geez, don't be silly" or "hmm. there's a point
> > there".
>
> Well, I don't know. If there is nothing to be said, then nothing
> should be said, IMO.

I'd say that there is *always* something to say. ;) Being nasty just
takes some effort. But point taken.

> How do the sourceforge/savannah people do this?

As far as I can tell (including personal experience with Savannah)
they mostly check that the license is valid considering the dependencies,
and that the project description seems like the a person making the
application actually know what they are doing.

Also, my impression is that Savannah assigns someone to vet each
request -- and that the criteria vary from people to people.

> > Furthermore, I suppose we should have a terms of service somewhere
> > that says that if they don't play nice we will kick them all the way
> > to FORTRAN-land.
>
> Again, how do sf/savannah do this? I bet you have to sign
> electronically some contract with them, absolving them from any
> responsability etc.

If by electronically signing you mean "by submitting this form you
agree to ..."  or equivalent, yes.

Propos legal advice is something I don't think we either need or can
afford. However, something along the lines of

 Common-lisp.net is run and funded by volunteers, as they see fit.

 If people runnign of Common-lisp.net see fit to delete you project
 and replace it with mp3's of heavy metal played backwards you
 have probably earned it.

 If people runnign Common-lisp.net spill coffee on their keyboard and
 cause a short circuit that emties all your back account, it's solely
 your own fault due to associating with a computer language not made
 for human consumption.

 Moreover:

 By using the hosting services ("service") of Common-lisp.net you
 agree that the service is provided "as is",

  ... insert few clauses from any terms of service lying around the net ...

But then, again, I live in a country that has an actual legal system
as opposed to the bizarre inventions used in some coutries. ;)

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus