[xcvb-devel] Bootstrap failure: static-traversal.lisp appears to be missing.

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 10:31:50 UTC 2009

2009/10/21 Samium Gromoff <_deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru>:
> While trying to bootstrap XCVB using ASDF, an error about missing component
> appears, referring to 'static-traversal'. Looking at the .asd and grepping
> through the source suggests that it is both a missing file and a class :-)
>
> It might be that my mistake is grabbing a non-release, non-numeric commit,
> though, so I'm not entirely sure this is unintended..

I had a bug in adding farmer.lisp xcvb.asd (which shows that when
things go well and I'm not doing surgery, I tend to not bootstrap with
asdf). It has been fixed in .403. Please try again with the latest
XCVB (.404 as I write this message). Note that the farmer is still far
from complete, as I've been working to smooth out some bugs and
limitations.

In particular, the master now works fine with ASDF and REQUIRE
dependencies. See for instance Exscribe as an example program that
requires both XCVB and ASDF dependencies (or can still be built with
ASDF only). Also individual lisp files can now override their build's
:build-depends-on, which is what you want for setup files and other
magic files. Name canonicalization also has been fixed, which makes
the Master happier, especially since since .398 it can now load
individual modules (and their dependencies) - e.g. (xcvbm:bnl
"/xcvb/utilities").

An earlier notable change, in XCVB .400 was that XCVB now (re)sets the
optimization settings to the configured default before loading or
compiling every single file. Configuration is by side-effecting
xcvb:*optimization-settings*, which should be of the form (optimize
(speed 1) (debug 3) (safety 2)) or some such. This works around the
fact that whether declaim and proclaim of settings stay in the same
file or leak to further files is non-deterministic from one Lisp
implementation to the other.

XCVB is getting usable (I hope). Enjoy!

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
        -- Mark Twain