[usocket-devel] nameserver errors on Clozure CL

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Wed Jan 13 18:51:20 UTC 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 4:52 AM, Chun Tian (binghe) wrote:

>> Hello RME
>>
>> Thanks very much for bring us newest changes in Clozure CL. We'll merge your patch as soon as possible.
>>
>> However I have a question, will your usocket patch work on Clozure CL versions early than the changeset/13377, for example, CCL 1.3 and 1.4? As our current policy is, support as many exist versions of each CLs as possible.
>
> Well, after deep looking at the patch, I think the answer is YES.

Yes, that's right.  It should continue to work back to at least CCL 1.3.

> Committed as r520 [1], thanks.

Note that I'm not familiar with usocket---there may well be a better way.

For instance, the patch doesn't set the host-or-ip slot of the condition object to the host or ip address for which the lookup failed.  (In fact, it just sets it to nil for lack of anything better).

Presumably this won't be an issue since the caller already knows what remote host it tried to connect to.  One other possibility might be to handle ccl:socket-creation-error in get-host-by-address and get-hosts-by-name---that way the address or name would be lexically available to include in the ns-condition object.

Anyway, thanks.  If there are bugs or omissions in CCL that affect usocket (or enhancements to CCL that would make it work better), please feel free to make tickets at http://trac.clozure.com/ccl