[usocket-devel] Re: usocket backend/allegro.lisp

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Jan 22 02:47:45 UTC 2007

Erik Huelsmann wrote:

>> Ah, I see that this file is fixed in the subversion repository --- at
>> least to the extent that it loads correctly.
>
> You mean cl-irc still doesn't work for you?
>
> Yes, cl-irc works with SBCL: I have a 0.8.0 image running for some time now and haven't seen any problems.

I got it to crash a couple of times.  Per your suggestion below, this
was in a case where Allegro returned a NIL value for a socket.

> As far as documentation on the functions in allegro.lisp: for all methods and most functions, there's documentation in usocket.lisp. If that's insufficient, no problem, but I'll need directions on what's unclear so I can add it.
>
> Looking at the sources, usocket doesn't account for the case when a NIL socket is returned by Allegro. I guess usocket should return NIL when Allegro does (and cl-irc should take into account NIL is a valid return value signalling 'no socket').
>
> Do you have any idea what could have gone wrong so that no socket was created?

Not really.  BEIRC got all bollixed up because I was already logged into
freenode using my usual nick.  It doesn't seem to rollover from the
prespecified nick that happily.

I will see if I can replicate the behavior.

Should usocket return nil in this case, or raise an error?

Best,