[toronto-lisp] swarm coding and code sharing

Rudolf omouse at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 19:10:09 UTC 2012

http://technomancy.us/162

I've found that user groups often fall into a pattern of lecture style
> presentations with slide shows. Since it's usually difficult to find
> presenters, often it ends up that after a while whoever founded the group
> speaks repeatedly. This leads to burn-out and isn't sustainable even if
> you're fortunate enough to have presenters who are skilled public speakers.
> It's also simply not a very good way to learn; your mind is a lot more
> involved in a when engaged in active discussion.

Interesting article, they're doing something called swarm coding where
everyone ssh's into a machine and they pass control from one person to
another using tmux or something else.

I know we sometimes share code listings or links to code at the meetups but
it might be wise to do that before the meetups so that we can discuss
things instead of playing catchup and asking for explanations.

I like reading Lisp code to try and improve my style and to learn more of
the language and it's a breath of fresh air after dealing with
Python/Django all day.

Also, instead of having that toronto-lisp github account perhaps we should
just add links to people's repos onto the website.
-Rudolf O.