[toronto-lisp] Request for advice on learning CLOS and MOP (mostly MOP)

David Penton djp at arqux.com
Sun Nov 15 05:57:56 UTC 2009

I have been working my way through Seibel's Practical Common Lisp. In
one of the chapters (ch.24) Seibel illustrates keeping track of  the
inherited slots of a class by tucking the information away in a symbol
plist.

This immediately made me wonder why he did not use something built in
to the object system to query a class about itself.  Thus I came to
investigate MOP stuff, which I believe does provide for the
functionality needed in Seibel's example. (I used MOP fns CLASS-SLOTS
and CLASS-DIRECT-SLOTS to do the job.)

I am considering ordering the book The Art of the MetaObject  Protocol
by Kiczales et al. However, I wonder if that is really the book I
want. I am not so much interested in how it is all implemented as I am
in learning about fairly pragmatic reflection functionality.

Is anyone familiar with this book? Is it mostly about implementing
CLOS? Is there a better resource for learning to use MOP functionality
at a basic level?

thx

- Dave -