[toronto-lisp] September meetup and interesting projects

Brian Connoy BConnoy at morrisonhershfield.com
Mon Aug 25 15:13:23 UTC 2008

Hiya,

I'll be available this time around.

And since I'm starting to use Common Lisp to drive AutoCAD (in place of Visual Lisp), I could show a little something on this front. I'll blame my Visual Lisp experience for all my naive coding in CL!      :^)

(Specifically, the example shows use of the LispWorks COM/Automation package.)

BC

>>> Rudolf <omouse at gmail.com> 8/24/2008 3:38 PM >>>
== INTERESTING PROJECTS ==

Name some interesting projects you're working on!

Zed Shaw posted a slightly interesting article about user groups,
meetups, hackerspaces, social clubs, etc:

    http://www.zedshaw.com/rants/the_freehackers_union.html

He says,

    I tried a few user groups, but there's barely anyone doing
    anything truly interesting. I really do enjoy the people who take
    the time to go to a user group for their favorite tech, but at the
    same time I feel like they're just there to escape their jobs.
    That's sad because I run into people who say, "(sigh) I have to do
    Rails", even at the Python groups. The Python group has had two
    months of meetings about fucking performance tuning. I love those
    guys, but holy baby jesus can we just move off of cython already?
    I hear reports that even the iPhone and Cocoa user group is lame.
    I mean, that group should be going ape shit right now.

Projects...someone must be doing something interesting! Phd work, grad
work, web work, desktop work, work work? Tell us more, maybe even
present something :D

Has anyone worked with Smalltalk or C#? What are they like compared to
Common Lisp and Scheme?

== NEXT MEETUP ==

Also, we need to decide the next meetup date. I'm thinking September
11th or 18th. They're all Thursdays of course, starting at 6pm, 99%
chance of being at the LinuxCaffe.

There's a fine Lisp meetup calendar here (in case you're in another
city?):

    http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=pm55j8kg30dnm54ib2if9fuocc%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

If Brian C. is still up for it, he could present at the next meetup,
depending on if he's available for either of the days?

-Rudolf