[hunchentoot-devel] Encoding problem

Nicolas Neuss neuss at kit.edu
Thu Oct 7 14:33:42 UTC 2010

Hans Hübner <hans.huebner at gmail.com> writes:

> Nicolas,
>
> I'd use Wireshark or another packet sniffing tool to capture the
> request as it is exchanged between Apache and Hunchentoot.  In that
> capture, it would be obvious what encoding would be used for the
> headers.  Lacking that, you could also try setting
> HUNCHENTOOT:*HEADER-STREAM* to *STANDARD-OUTPUT* or a stream of your
> liking and inspect its contents.  Using an external sniffer would be
> safer in that you'd know that nothing has processed the headers,
> though.
>
> Given that you already speculated at the wrong encoding used in an
> environment variable that Apache uses, why don't you change that to
> use proper RFC2047 encoding?
>
> -Hans

Hans,

thanks for the hints.  I'll try it, but it may take a while.

As for why I don't teach Apache to properly encode, I simply don't know
how:-)  Googling didn't help.

Nicolas

P.S.: A simple preliminary solution might be to convert the string back
myself using something like

  (flexi-streams:octets-to-string
     (flexi-streams:string-to-octets *x* :external-format :latin1)
      :external-format :utf-8)