[hunchentoot-devel] Oh! Let me float in your pool!

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Sat May 15 20:39:56 UTC 2010

Hi Gordon,

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 14:53, Gordon Sims <gordon at itasoftware.com> wrote:
> GORDON: [ambitiously hacking] I'd like to have two settings in
> Hunchentoot to control the maximum number of worker threads, and how
> many connections are accepted (and queued) for processing when the
> maximum is exceeded.  If the maximum is exceeded, new connection
> attempts should be refused.  This is analogous to Tomcat's maxThreads
> and acceptCount settings.  It could be implemented by a pool of worker
> threads.  Is this a concept that anybody has experimented yet with
> current version of Hunchentoot? Are there any thoughts about how a
> thread pool should work, especially the coordination (or division of
> responsibility) between ACCEPTOR and TASKMASTER objects?  Any
> portability concerns?

I can't really give you good advice, but the ACCEPTOR and TASKMASTER
classes have been invented to support thread pooling in addition to
the single threaded TASKMASTER subclass.  It would be great to have a
thread pooling implementation in the base code, presumably based on
BORDEAUX-THREADS.

Let's see some code :)

-Hans