[hunchentoot-devel] Setup of Hunchentoot 1.0.0

Rohan Nicholls rohan.nicholls at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 10 09:36:31 UTC 2009

Hi Mackram,

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Mackram Raydan <mackram at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I am not sure how everyone got their new Hunchentoot server setup but I had
> a kind of rough experience and wanted to share so that maybe it is spared
> from the next guy giving Hunchentoot. Below is my humble experience feel
> free to tell me where I went wrong (if I did) or in posting possible
> solutions
>
> First off, I use an Ubuntu installation and unfortunately all there
> repositories for cl code seem to be out of date and hence it will cause alot
> of pain. I had to go through uninstalling everything for cl downloaded using
> apt-get.

It is unfortunate, but the debian packages and so also the ubuntu
packages have always been out of date.  The cl- packages are not
important to the ubuntu project, as such, so they just use the debian
defaults.  My personal experience has been to avoid any of the apt-get
lisp packages  like the plague.

> Second, if you choose to use ASDF-INSTALL you are in for some trouble too. I
> tried ASDF-INSTALL a couple of times but to no avail. Hunchentoot is
> installed and you can load a server but you can not get it to reply. My
> guess is that one of the socket code libraries happen to be the problem but
> I am not sure of that. If it is any help Drakma kept pointing out an issue
> with sockets! (I can reproduce the error if any one wants).

Sorry, I have no recent experience with asdf install.

> Third and finally, I tried clbuild which I am glad to say works but with a
> twist. For some reason, which I have not yet gotten to, clbuild can not tell
> that Hunchentoot depends on Bordeaux-threads (and consequently lift) or
> Usockets (and consequently split-sequence) and therefore will not download
> them. I had to install each on its own. After that, everything works
> beautifully.

I find this odd, I use clbuild for my lisp stuff, and it works a
treat.  But a quick ./clbuild update hunchentoot shows that you are
correct.  I will mention this on the clbuild mailing list.  There was
a glitch where the ediware packages were not being updated properly,
but that was fixed very promptly after I winged. :)

So, bordeaux-threads and Usockets must be added to the dependencies.
I will ask on the mailing list.  Thanks for the heads up, because I
keep referring people to clbuild.

Thanks for the report.

Rohan