[hunchentoot-devel] Setup of Hunchentoot 1.0.0

Mackram Raydan mackram at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 15:37:19 UTC 2009

Hey Everyone,

I am not sure how everyone got their new Hunchentoot server setup but I had
a kind of rough experience and wanted to share so that maybe it is spared
from the next guy giving Hunchentoot. Below is my humble experience feel
free to tell me where I went wrong (if I did) or in posting possible
solutions

First off, I use an Ubuntu installation and unfortunately all there
repositories for cl code seem to be out of date and hence it will cause alot
of pain. I had to go through uninstalling everything for cl downloaded using
apt-get.
Second, if you choose to use ASDF-INSTALL you are in for some trouble too. I
tried ASDF-INSTALL a couple of times but to no avail. Hunchentoot is
installed and you can load a server but you can not get it to reply. My
guess is that one of the socket code libraries happen to be the problem but
I am not sure of that. If it is any help Drakma kept pointing out an issue
with sockets! (I can reproduce the error if any one wants).
Third and finally, I tried clbuild which I am glad to say works but with a
twist. For some reason, which I have not yet gotten to, clbuild can not tell
that Hunchentoot depends on Bordeaux-threads (and consequently lift) or
Usockets (and consequently split-sequence) and therefore will not download
them. I had to install each on its own. After that, everything works
beautifully.

I am not sure how much this info is actionable, after all it is not an issue
of Hunchentoot fundamentally; however without some guidelines to those who
do not keep updated libraries (dracs copies :) ) getting Hunchentoot to run
might be too much.

Just my 2 cents on an otherwise awesome project :)

Mackram Raydan

Website: www.trailoflight.net  (unfortunately does not run Hunchentoot ----
YET).
"An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has
come." Victor Hugo