[hunchentoot-devel] Handling multiple Hunchentoot instances with potentially conflicting ports

Hans Hübner hans at huebner.org
Fri May 30 14:01:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Raditya Kertiyasa <adit_kerti at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The bottom line is that it is possible that more than one instance of my
> system will be running on the same machine. With the port set to default
> each time the system starts, this produces the possibility that someone will
> start an instance of Hunchentoot and end up in a port conflict. What I
> really want to do is address this situation in whichever way is simpler and
> easier, so I tried using HANDLER-BIND and a restart function. It may not be
> the best solution and I might have taken a wrong turn or missed a sign, so
> I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me your opinion.

Well, all the advice I can give you here is not to compile in a port
number but let the user decide if they want to run an http server, and
on which port.  If what you work on is a shrink-wrapped application
(i.e. the user should never see the debugger), consider using the
appropriate startup option to your Lisp to disable the debugger.  You
may also want to look at *DEBUGGER-HOOK* in the CLHS.

-Hans