[hunchentoot-devel] Current development

Travis Cross tc at travislists.com
Fri May 30 09:24:02 UTC 2008

Hans Hübner wrote:
> To make your life easier, I have create an ediware package that you
> can use to check out Hunchentoot, Drakma and all dependencies with one
> command:
>
> svn co svn://bknr.net/svn/ediware

If we're going to start using public version control for 'Ediware'
libraries, may I gently suggest that a distributed VCS might be a better
fit for the project.  Distributed version control better enables and
encourages a broad base of contributors with one or a limited number of
committers.  It also allows fast offline operation.

The signs all seem to be pointing to GIT as the DVCS of choice for OSS
projects [1].  As git hosts the linux kernel, and has experienced an
explosive community growth of useful tools, it won't be going away
anytime soon.

As an example, I merged the development history of previous hunchentoot
releases I had tracked with the SVN histories at clnet and bknr to
produce a unified history you can clone with:

git clone git://repos.tcross.org/hunchentoot.git # [2]

If we're interested in going this direction, I'll publish git
conversions of Edi's other libraries.

Finally, I do understand that you're probably more personally
comfortable with SVN.  I believe though that the long-term benefits of
moving to a DVCS now would be worth the investment in transition,
especially as the project is already undergoing major changes.

Cheers,

-- Travis

For more on GIT, see Bill Clementson's piece at
http://bc.tech.coop/blog/080118.html

[1] For what it's worth, my personal VCS history over the last decade
has been:

      CVS --> SVN --> Mercurial --> Darcs --> GIT

As git is dominating the DVCS world, git may be the last stop for awhile.

[2] This is just an example; I haven't done extensive checking yet to
ensure that my conversion and merge here is flawless.