[hunchentoot-devel] Printing the output

Andrei Stebakov lispercat at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 15:40:38 UTC 2007

I am a bit confused about using macros like with-html. Let's say if I want
to produce an html with my post parameter value in it. Just saying (:p
(post-parameter "foo")) won't put the value in the <p> tag.
On the other hand saying (:p (format t "~a" (post-parameter "foo"))) or (:p
(esc (post-parameter "foo"))) will produce the expected result. Same goes
with
(:p
      (esc (with-output-to-string (s)
                      (format s "~a" (post-parameter "foo")))))

My question is what's common about the latter examples that makes a printing
possible? Does it mean that all printing within with-html should happen to
*standard-output* and the esc function  redirects it to it?

What package should I look at to have a better understanding of it?

Thank you!
Andrew