[hunchentoot-devel] Re: Hunchentoot - cookie-in v/s cookie-out

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Thu Feb 8 07:35:15 UTC 2007

H,,

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:19:18 +0530, "Saurabh Nanda" <saurabhnanda at gmail.com> wrote:

[Please use the mailing list.  See Cc.]

> One small question, why the difference between behaviours of
> cookie-in and cookie-out functions? The former returns the value
> whereas the latter returns a cookie object.

The server sends a full "Set-Cookie" header with (potentially)
"expires", "path", "domain", and "secure" attributes, while the client
only sends a "Cookie" header with names and values.

  http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html

I don't think it would make sense to wrap these incoming cookies into
full-blown cookie objects.

> Further, to get the cookie value from the cookie object one has to
> use (slot-value cookie-object 'hunchentoot::value) as the "value"
> symbol is not external.

There's an exported accessor COOKIE-VALUE, see the documentation:

  http://weitz.de/hunchentoot/#cookie-value

Cheers,
Edi.