[Snow-devel] Slime or other framework for developing Snow

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Thu May 26 18:18:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Matus Kmit <simply.nitaai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alessio
>
> What do You use for developing and testing Snow code? i configured
> emacs+slime for using ABCL. Is it possible to do it for Snow as well,
> in the way, that when one would start REPL in smile, all the necessary
> jar files with snow would be loaded, and one could test the snow code?
>
> Or what would You recommend as the most convenient way to write and
> test snow code?

Slime can be used. The way I do it:

- have a file in the classpath named abcl-script-config.lisp
containing the following lines:

(in-package :abcl-script-user)
(setq *launch-swank-at-startup* t)
(setq *swank-dir* #P"/home/alessio/slime/slime/") ;;Here substitute
with the path to your installation of Slime

- launch Snow normally, ensuring the file above is in the classpath[1]

- launch Emacs and do M-x slime-connect <return> keep the standard
host and port (localhost:4005) and you should connect to the ABCL
instance running Snow.

[1] the way I do it is: I have abcl-script-config.lisp in the Snow
root, along with the following run.sh script:

#!/bin/bash
java -classpath ".:dist/snow.jar:lib/*" snow.Snow $@

notice the extra . (dot) in the classpath. It only works if the script
is in the same directory as the Lisp file.

> Another question i habe is regarding --no-gui-repl switch for command
> line. In windows i am starting snow in the following manned:
>
> "java -classpath
> snow.jar:lib/abcl.jar:lib/binding-2.0.6.jar:lib/commons-logging.jar:lib/miglayout-3.7.1.jar
> snow.Snow"
>
> i tried placing the switch at several position in the above statement,
> but none of them worked. How to do it correctly?

I should go after snow.Snow. However, if you're on Windows, note that
the classpath separator is not : but ; (semicolon). That's a Java
idiosyncrasy.

Also note that due to the way EXT:QUIT has been reimplemented in
recent ABCL, Snow doesn't correctly quit anymore when closing the GUI
REPL (you have to kill it from the shell with Ctrl-C), and it spews
out an ugly exception when you call (quit) from the non-GUI REPL. I'll
fix this soon.

Let me know if you have other issues.
Alessio