[Small-cl-src-discuss] licenses?

Ingvar ingvar at cathouse.bofh.se
Tue May 25 14:18:43 UTC 2004

Robert P. Goldman writes:
> I've been reading the code snippets with great interest and
> appreciation.  But I've been a little nervous about using any of them,
> for fear of raging attack lawyers.  :->  More seriously, I don't want
> to abuse anyone's confidence by adopting code they were just sharing
> for pedagogical purposes.

I'd be inclined to say "when in doubt, ask". Either us collectively or the
author of any specific code snippet you're interested in using.

> So, I was wondering, would people mind letting us know what sort of
> licenses they are putting on these code snippets?  Or is there some
> standard license implied by posting to small-cl-src?

There were some thoughts, but assorted web-fu problems, combined with a lack
of time and mailman being a right bastard at the time meant I didn't get
around to slap a general "Unless this, that or these terms-of-use please
explicitly mention the terms" and I can't really do that retroactively.

I could, of course, solicit opinions on what you, the users of small-cl-src,
think and set a suitable cut-off date. I'd humbly suggest either "BSD with or
without credit required" or "Public Domain" as the two least undesirable
options, but as long as it's OK to (a) keep in the archives and (b) to
redistribute, I'm fine with whatever people are fine with.

//Ingvar