CLIME, or, a (Mc)CLIM backend based on SLIME

Luke Gorrie luke at nuddy.co
Thu Apr 29 18:12:20 UTC 2021

Howdy!

[Resending this mail that was blocked for having a large screenshot as
attachment]

I've started hacking on a SLIME frontend ("backend") for McCLIM. It's super
early days but there's a WITH-OUTPUT-TO-EMACS macro that lets you use CLIM
drawing commands and have the final result rendered as an inline image in
the SLIME REPL.

There's lots to add e.g. a way to choose a CLIM command to execute and a
way to click on presentations to select them as arguments. Add add support
for missing shapes including text. If anyone wants to hack on this with me
that would be most welcome!

The problem this solves is being able to write and debug CLIM code from the
comfort of Emacs. It should also be suitable for writing user interfaces
that don't need really fast response times (I'm planning to use it for a
CAD drawing application in the style of KiCad.) The backend is based on SVG
under the hood so in principle it could be made browser-friendly too.

Anyway! Initial demo screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/4MdaXTb

McCLIM code @ https://github.com/nuddyco/mcclim branch clime
SLIME code @ https://github.com/nuddyco/slime branch clime

The McCLIM code currently fails to build just because it doesn't find my
ASD file. I've no idea what's wrong but it's probably something "obvious."
The workaround is to #+nil the #:mcclim-emacs dependency in mcclim.asd and
then load Backend/Emacs/emacs.lisp manually.

Cheers!
-Luke