The hyperspec keyboard shortcut started launching my email client instead of my browser?

Jeffrey Cunningham jeffrey at jkcunningham.com
Sun Mar 22 17:19:40 UTC 2020

On 3/22/20 9:01 AM, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

>> On 22 Mar 2020, at 16:01, Jeffrey Cunningham
>> <jeffrey at jkcunningham.com <mailto:jeffrey at jkcunningham.com>> wrote:
>>
>> For years I've been using Slime's keyboard shortcut to bring up my
>> browser on a local copy of the hyperspec using the standard Ctrl-c d
>> h shortcut. Now its started launching a new email window in
>> Thunderbird, my email client, instead.
>>
>> I'm running Ubuntu 18.04, Emacs 25.2.2, and Slime 2.24.
>>
>> Anyone run into this? Any idea how to fix it?
>
> You need to identify what emacs package you loaded that overrides the
> C-c d h keybinding.
> Note that slime-documentation-lookup is normally bound to C-c C-d h
> So C-c d h must have been put there by yourself in your ~/.emacs
> Try to do that at the end of your ~/.emacs, to get a chanc to override
> the key binding yourself.
>
> --
> __Pascal J. Bourguignon__

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't spell that key combination right. I
meant C-c C-d h. I haven't changed the default documentation key
bindings. Nor have I modified .emacs (~/.emacs.d/init.el for my system)
in ages.  There is no binding over-ride for C-c C-d h in it that I can see.

I suppose that means some package I've been using took over that key
combination in an automatic package update. So presumably I could
restore it by manually re-assigning it at the end of the file? Something
like

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c C-d h" 'hyperspec)

which doesn't work.

--Jeff