problem with slime-edit-definition

Helmut Eller eller.helmut at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 19:28:10 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 18 2015, Peter Münster wrote:

> What could I do please to solve this problem?

This is the typical way it works:

  1. start the Lisp process with M-x slime.
  2. load the source file into the Lisp process with slime-load-file or
     a similar command.
  3. now the Lisp process should know where the definitions are located
     (SBCL and the "better" implementations at least do)
  4. M-. also needs to know the package where to search for the symbol; by
     default that's derived from the nearest in-package form, but if
     there isn't any in-package in the current buffer then
     COMMON-LISP-USER will be used.  It's also possibly to explicitly
     specify the package e.g. with C-u M-. "my-package:write-table" RET

If you still have problems, tell us how your setup looks like: which
Lisp implementation you use, how you load the code, the output in the
*inferior-lisp* buffer etc. so that we can reproduce the problem.

Helmut